Assessments for Family Courts


DVIP Joint Assessments

DVIP complete Joint assessments when ordered by the courts in public law care proceedings, or when instructed by social services to help inform care planning. Joint assessments include an assessment of both parents, however, clients are always seen seperatley. This page should answer your queries regarding these assessments, if you have any other concerns please contact us.

Who has a joint assessment and why?

Children’s services may refer you for a joint assessment as part of ongoing care proceedings, or a social worker can refer you for a report about the risks posed to your children and also the impact that domestic abuse has had on you and your children.

What is a joint assessment?

A joint assessment means that one assessor will be assessing both you and your ex/partner and including both risk and vulnerability assessments in one report. 

Can I refer myself for a joint assessment?

We only accept referrals from social workers for these assessments.

What happens next?

Once we have received the referral and the documents we require from social services we will hand the case to an assessor. The assessor will then contact you to arrange for you to meet for 2 – 3 appointments. All appointments take place at our Southwark Office in Westminster Bridge Road and you may need to speak to your social worker if you require help with travel or childcare. Please note that we are unable to accommodate children on the premises so you will need to arrange child care for your appointments. You will not be attending the interviews together and your ex/partner will not know the time and date of your appointments.

How long does it take?

A joint assessment report usually takes 8 weeks from when we receive all the necessary documents. 

What does it cost?

The costs of the assessment will usually be met by social services or, if you are in court proceedings, the court may order the costs to be split between the parties and so your portion would be paid for by legal aid and your solicitor should deal with this for you.

What if English is not your first language?

When your social worker refers you they should advise that an interpreter is required and so one will be arranged for all of your interviews. 

The assessment has been completed, what happens next?

The assessment report will be sent to the social worker or solicitor who referred you. The court will consider the recommendations in the report and may make further orders regarding contact arrangements or treatment.

What treatment is available for me?

The report may recommend attendance at DVIPs Womens Treatment Programme or Violence Prevention Programme. 


Should you have any further questions, please contact us 



Hide Page