Assessments for Family Courts


DVIP Family Member Assessments

Children’s Services may plan to place a child, who has been or is at risk of being removed from their parents care, with extended family members or other third parties. In this case, and where domestic violence has been a concern, they may need an assessment of the potential carer’s understanding and insight into those concerns, as well as their capacity to safeguard any child/ren in their care. If you have been referred to DVIP for a Family Member Assessment, this page is intended to answer any queries you may have if you have any other concerns please contact us.

What is a Family Member Assessment?

This is an assessment that will look at your understanding of domestic violence and your ability to protect the child/ren in your care.

Who has a family member assessment - and why?

You may be referred to DVIP for this form of assessment if Children’s Services have identified you as a potential carer for a child who has been, or may be, removed from their parents care due to concerns regarding domestic violence. 

Can I refer myself for an assessment?

We only accept referrals from Children’s Services for these and any other public law assessments.

What happens next?

Once we have received all the documentation we require, the assessor assigned to your case will invite you to 2-3 interviews. This will usually be the same assessor who completed an assessment of the child/ren’s parent/s.

Where will the assessment take place?

All of the interview appointments will take place at our Southwark offices, near Waterloo station. We are unable to accommodate children on the premises so you may need to arrange child care in advance and, while you may wish to bring someone with you, they will not be able to wait at the premises or join you in the interview. If you require help with access please contact us before your appointment.

How long does it take?

A family member assessment report for the Family Court usually takes 4-6 weeks from when we receive all the necessary documents. 

What does it cost?

Usually, Children’s Services will fund these assessments. 

What if English is not your first language?

When your social worker refers you they should advise that an interpreter is required and so one will be arranged for all of your interviews. 

The assessment has been completed, what happens next?

The assessment report will be sent to the social worker or solicitor who referred you. The court will consider the recommendations in the report and may make further orders regarding contact arrangements or treatment.


Should you have any further questions, please contact us 



Hide Page